Combination NRT with NICORETTE®
Combination NRT is more effective than willpower alone.
Smokers are almost 3x more likely to quit using combination NRT vs placebo1,13
(31.5% combination NRT vs 10.6% placebo: odds ratio 2.73(95% confidence intervals 2.07 to 3.65))
Offering your patients the option of combination NRT means they can use two NICORETTE® products to aid their quit attempt rather than one.
Patients should use NICORETTE® INVISIPATCH™ to provide continuous relief from background nicotine withdrawal symptoms during waking hours. Patients should also use a flexible format such as NICORETTE® Inhalator, QuickMist, Lozenge, Gum, Nasal Spray or Microtab to help control intense cravings whenever they strike.
Be sure to make patients aware of those moments when cravings are most likely to strike and ensure that they have a flexible format to control the urge to smoke.15
- Smoking associated habits15 eg with coffee, after a meal, watching TV
- Emotional triggers15 eg stress, boredom, tiredness
- In the company of other people15
- Drinking alcohol1
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines8
"Explain that people can use one NRT product on its own or a combination of different ones. Advise them that using more than one product is more likely to be successful, particularly for more dependent smokers (some products are fast acting and deal better with immediate cravings, whereas others are long acting and provide a steadier supply of nicotine)"8
When deciding which therapies to use and in which order, discuss the options with the patient and take into account:9
- whether a first offer of referral to the NHS Stop Smoking Service has been made
- contra-indications and the potential for adverse effects
- the patient's personal preferences
- the availability of appropriate counselling or support
- the likelihood that the patient will follow the course of treatment
- their previous experience of smoking cessation aids
Offer your patient combined NRT with NICORETTE® INVISIPATCH™ in combination with one flexible format